Supporting your local nut house
03 November, 2014
What makes Cromer’s different from other competitors? Sure you can go buy popcorn at your local grocery store, you could get coffee from a chain like Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts and you could get your party supplies from Party City, but why come to Cromer’s?
Cromer’s is a local family business that started back in 1935. We talked about the beginning of the business with Mr. Julian Cromer and his peanuts in last week’s blog, but why should you come to Cromer’s for things other than our famous p-nuts and popcorn? Though Cromer’s has a big personality and representation around the Columbia community, it is still a “small business.” The Small Business Administration defines a small business as an enterprise having fewer than 500 employees and with only 22 we certainly fall into that category. According to an article on Business Insider, Only 50% of small businesses survive five years, though most (70%) hit the two-year mark. Cromer’s will hit its 80th birthday coming up, shooting down that statistic. However, the only reason Cromer’s has been able to stay open for so long is because of our loyal customers like you! Cromer’s strives to attain the best customer service in the area to make your experience better than it would be anywhere else. The majority of the employees have been working for Cromer’s for more than 20 years, so they are pros at what they do.
Here are a few other things that make Cromer’s special:
Popcorn: our popcorn is popped fresh every day. No, our bright yellow bags are not lying when they say “FRESH POPCORN” on them. Though it is popped fresh, if you keep it sealed tight, it can last up to 6-8 weeks. Our popcorn is also popped in coconut oil as opposed to the traditional canola oil. There are two oils that stay stable without the addition of citric acid, and of the two, coconut oil is the healthier option. So not only does our popcorn taste better because of it, it also allows you to enjoy much more with less shame. Search anywhere on the web and you will find that people much more prefer coconut oil popped popcorn to any other method.
- P-nuts: along with our popcorn, our peanuts are boiled, packaged and placed on the shelves fresh every morning. You can often find Mr. Wade aka the Real Peanut Man on the sales floor with a shopping cart full of fresh peanuts every morning filling our fridge.
- Café: sure you could grab a coffee at Starbucks or DD on your way to work, but why not support your local businesses and come to Cromer’s? Not only is Cromer’s a local business in itself; we also use a local micro roaster for our coffee beans as well. Once you taste Cromer’s coffee, you will not want to try anything else. It is full of flavor and made with love. We have had the same barista for some time and he has mastered the art of making coffee. Along with our delicious locally roasted coffee, we also offer free parking (which is hard to find in Columbia), free Wi-Fi and the comfiest couch in Cola.
- Café 2.0: along with our coffee, our café also sells gourmet sandwiches, and a variety of breakfast items. Though the selection is not a large one, the sandwiches are made from fresh meats, cheeses and bread. Nothing is frozen- everything from the meats to the bagels is purchased fresh weekly. The croissants are even purchased from a local French bakery, Crepes and Croissants.
- Party supplies: If you are holding a large party or cookout, Cromer’s is the hot spot for all of your supplies. Not only do we carry (and blow up for you) balloons, streamers, etc., but we also have plates, napkins, cups and tablecloths for your party. Anything you could possibly need, you more than likely can find it here.
- Rentals: along with your party planning, why not go to the next level and rent a popcorn or cotton candy machine. Nothing makes people light up like seeing fresh popcorn or cotton candy. The steps are simple and you are bound to make an impression.
- Events: If you do not want to make the popcorn or cotton candy yourselves, or if you want something more difficult to make like funnel cakes or boiled peanuts, then you can hire the Cromer’s special events’ staff to come out and cater your event. Though we are not your average catering company, we are a company with years of fair and carnival experience to provide the tastiest treats to you and your company.
- ASI: One of the things Cromer’s offers that is not always known, is their Advertising Specialties. If you want anything customized for your company or organization from t-shirts to toilet paper, we can do that for you. With more than 800,000 products to choose from, you can build your business with us.
Sure all of these things can be purchased or found at other chain stores across the state, but they will never care about you like Cromer’s does. You are not just another credit card number or another face here at Cromer’s. You are family and we appreciate your support!